Thursday, 20 March 2014

Adaptation Part B - Developing Arrietty

To begin with, I studied the shapes and proportions used to draw children. As my adaptation is aimed at 5 - 8 year olds, I feel that Arrietty will best connect with the audience if she looks of similar age. I also want Arrietty to look as though, like everything in her home, she could be made out of household items. As in my earlier experiments, I used silhouettes of everyday objects to start building her shape, however 1 and 2 weren't looking very childlike, so I changed the proportions in number 3.


While trying out different shapes, I focused on the clothespin and gathered some visual research of clothespin dolls. Using these examples I started developing my own clothespin character. I want to further develop these designs, as I feel that there is a lot of 'cute potential'.



Next I began sketching some face shapes, focusing on keeping the shape and style childlike. I think that the most successful shapes are 1, 3 and 4 however the length of the face in 3 is perhaps more like that of a teen/adult than a child.  

No comments:

Post a Comment