For my Adaptation Part B project I have chosen to adapt 'The Borrowers' written by Mary Norton. My aim to design a character and part of an environment from the book.
The Borrowers live in the secret places of quiet old houses; behind the mantelpiece, inside the harpsichord, under the kitchen clock. They own nothing, borrow everything, and think that human beings were invented just to do the dirty work.
Arrietty's father, Pod, was an expert Borrower. He could scale curtains using a hatpin, and bring back a doll's teacup without breaking it. Girls weren't supposed to go borrowing but as Arrietty was an only child her father broke the rule, and then something happened which changed their lives. She made friends with the human boy living in the house...
I began looking at children's films and television programmes. In particular, I looked at those that feature small characters in a giant world, for example Toy Story.
To start designing the characters and environment I found lots of images of everyday objects that the borrowers could use. As a feature of the environment is the fireplace made from cogs and a funnel, I looked in depth at a number of different styles of cogs. The family live under the clock, which gives their family name, therefore I hope to include pieces that reflect this.




No comments:
Post a Comment