Okay - so there's a bit of an elephant in the room here, of which I'm sure you're aware - in regard to workflow and participation more generally. It's really early days, so I'm not hugely concerned, but I am going to ask that you drop me an email asap to pgomm@ucreative.ac.uk so we can discuss any issues which might be preventing you from having the kind of full-cream, all-singing, all-dancing experience I'd rather you were experiencing in week 3. I know you were experiencing some internet issues - and sometimes that's all it is, but I would appreciate some correspondence and an insight into your experience so far.
Okay - so I look forward to hearing from you - but meanwhile, your OGR represents a conscientious effort to meet the criteria as outlined for this interim review; the overview is there, and what a great choice of three rooms. I don't feel able to make any real observations in regard to your creative development in terms of thumbnails etc., which is pity at this halfway stage.
You know, the room of roots has proven challenging for a number of budding CGAA students over the years, because of the difficulty in balancing the necessary congestion of the space as described, while also striving for a dynamic composition that also feels 'spatial' - i.e. not so congested that any sense of scale disappears and it looks as if we're looking down on a box full of colourful spaghetti! Obviously, you've been looking at images of roots - great - but it might help you too to diversify and look at analgous imagery: for example, check out 'installation art and artists' for some inspiration in regard to combining architectural spaces with intrusive, organic elements. The following link is to a GREAT blog, and this url includes all posts concerned with installations; just keep scrolling down and I think you'll find a bunch of vis refs that might help you think a bit more 'out-there-ish' about how to tackle this challenging space.
The thumbnail for the attic space hints at the fun you can have with this: whenever, I read about this attic, I can't help think of that room in the Harry Potter films - with all the magic stuff, in it? (Can't remember what it's called). Obviously, you've got the description here as a guide, but there is something MASSIVE and mouldering about Gormenghast, so don't be afraid to super-size your scenes: in terms of spaces filled with interesting stuff, you might find it inspiring to do a bit of research in regard to Wunderkammers - or 'Cabinets of Curiosities':
Again - exaggeration is key, I think, and use of extreme perspective to suggest towering piles of stuff could be very dynamic. The same is equally true of your great kitchen; your current thumbnails actually makes that space feel very homely and at a domestic scale, when really it's like some vaguely hellish space - all fire and glinting light and layers and layers of things. Ridley Scott made a flawed fairystory movie entitled Legend, which, in terms of the richness of its set-dressing and artful use of light, might be helpful to you in terms of 'up-sizing' your vision of Peake's world:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7futPJdeOg
Likewise - there's another really richly depicted kitchen in the film, The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover - it's a movie I'll be showing you soon enough, but check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToT0yAM2WU4
So, you have some very provisional ideas - and not much else. Needless to say, I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing much more of a creative buzz on here - and, similarly, seeing more of you in the baseroom - where a bit of tutorial support is only a knock on the door away.
Come on, Megan - we had a deal, remember? Publish and be damned! You promised me you were going to be brave! Remember - in terms of assessment of this unit, your contribution to the creative partnership and your blog map against the criteria of project management and professionalism - right now, you're going to struggle to meet this criteria at all - and arguably, you're making it impossible for your creative partners to make their own contribution in this respect. This is precisely the working practice that industry DOESN'T want from graduates. You don't even have your reviews on here. At risk of playing the heavy, I need to be clear with you Megan; we have certain expectations of our undergraduates on CGAA - and you're failing to meet them - and this despite everything I and others have said about it. Update your blog today please; you need to 'get over' this phase, Megan - just trust me on this! Chop chop!
OGR 11/10/2012
ReplyDeleteHi Megan,
Okay - so there's a bit of an elephant in the room here, of which I'm sure you're aware - in regard to workflow and participation more generally. It's really early days, so I'm not hugely concerned, but I am going to ask that you drop me an email asap to pgomm@ucreative.ac.uk so we can discuss any issues which might be preventing you from having the kind of full-cream, all-singing, all-dancing experience I'd rather you were experiencing in week 3. I know you were experiencing some internet issues - and sometimes that's all it is, but I would appreciate some correspondence and an insight into your experience so far.
Okay - so I look forward to hearing from you - but meanwhile, your OGR represents a conscientious effort to meet the criteria as outlined for this interim review; the overview is there, and what a great choice of three rooms. I don't feel able to make any real observations in regard to your creative development in terms of thumbnails etc., which is pity at this halfway stage.
You know, the room of roots has proven challenging for a number of budding CGAA students over the years, because of the difficulty in balancing the necessary congestion of the space as described, while also striving for a dynamic composition that also feels 'spatial' - i.e. not so congested that any sense of scale disappears and it looks as if we're looking down on a box full of colourful spaghetti! Obviously, you've been looking at images of roots - great - but it might help you too to diversify and look at analgous imagery: for example, check out 'installation art and artists' for some inspiration in regard to combining architectural spaces with intrusive, organic elements. The following link is to a GREAT blog, and this url includes all posts concerned with installations; just keep scrolling down and I think you'll find a bunch of vis refs that might help you think a bit more 'out-there-ish' about how to tackle this challenging space.
http://ineedaguide.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/installation
The thumbnail for the attic space hints at the fun you can have with this: whenever, I read about this attic, I can't help think of that room in the Harry Potter films - with all the magic stuff, in it? (Can't remember what it's called). Obviously, you've got the description here as a guide, but there is something MASSIVE and mouldering about Gormenghast, so don't be afraid to super-size your scenes: in terms of spaces filled with interesting stuff, you might find it inspiring to do a bit of research in regard to Wunderkammers - or 'Cabinets of Curiosities':
http://www.ashmolean.org/ash/amulets/tradescant/tradescant01.html
Again - exaggeration is key, I think, and use of extreme perspective to suggest towering piles of stuff could be very dynamic. The same is equally true of your great kitchen; your current thumbnails actually makes that space feel very homely and at a domestic scale, when really it's like some vaguely hellish space - all fire and glinting light and layers and layers of things. Ridley Scott made a flawed fairystory movie entitled Legend, which, in terms of the richness of its set-dressing and artful use of light, might be helpful to you in terms of 'up-sizing' your vision of Peake's world:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7futPJdeOg
Likewise - there's another really richly depicted kitchen in the film, The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover - it's a movie I'll be showing you soon enough, but check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToT0yAM2WU4
So, you have some very provisional ideas - and not much else. Needless to say, I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing much more of a creative buzz on here - and, similarly, seeing more of you in the baseroom - where a bit of tutorial support is only a knock on the door away.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Now - onwards! :)
Come on, Megan - we had a deal, remember? Publish and be damned! You promised me you were going to be brave! Remember - in terms of assessment of this unit, your contribution to the creative partnership and your blog map against the criteria of project management and professionalism - right now, you're going to struggle to meet this criteria at all - and arguably, you're making it impossible for your creative partners to make their own contribution in this respect. This is precisely the working practice that industry DOESN'T want from graduates. You don't even have your reviews on here. At risk of playing the heavy, I need to be clear with you Megan; we have certain expectations of our undergraduates on CGAA - and you're failing to meet them - and this despite everything I and others have said about it. Update your blog today please; you need to 'get over' this phase, Megan - just trust me on this! Chop chop!
ReplyDelete